Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and injustice when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid He might ask the same of me.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

• God's Birthday •

WOW.... just WOW. :o) We arrived in Haiti this morning after sitting in the airport from midnight till 6 a.m. in Miami. We played cards, visited with our new friend 'Barb' about her big surprise and snacked. It's odd being in an airport for 6 hours with absolutely no one in site but the janitor buffing the floor. What's worse, is no sleep.... and no bed. lol I don't think I've ever been so sleep deprived. Ever. But it's worth it. (so forgive me if this post seems a bit confusing....we've been going on about 3 hours of sleep for two days). Oh yeah... our luggage didn't make it. :o( Diane is going back tomorrow to pick it all up.



We met Roberto at the airport to bring us to the compound and instantly fell in love with his sense of humor and spirit. He drove us to the compound in style (that's air conditioning in layman's terms) aaahhhhh.... ;o) While driving 'home' I was so overwhelmed with everything I wanted to take photos of that of course I missed most of it. Like a child I was too excited and by the time I remembered to try to take a photo it was too late. But, we did see a 'parade' of people coming down the street singing and praising. Roberto explained today in Haiti, it's God's Birthday. They had a truck covered with streamers and ribbons, walking carrying crosses and singing their hearts out. Christ's birthday is December 25th, I learned God's is June 12th! :o)


Happy Birthday God Parade


There are goats, cattle, and horses and donkeys all over the countryside. When we asked how they know who they belonged to Roberto explained stamping the cows (branding) to us. ;o)

Kevin of course has been his charming self, asking every hour (at least) "Are we there yet?" Even after we got here. lol While riding our 1 1/2 hour drive to the house he managed to locate two nightclubs and 20 different 'super banks'. Which are just places to play the lottery.


We learned tap taps are taxis (okay.... toyota trucks, old buses, whatever you can hold LOTS of people in) that are everywhere. Diane had told us what to expect when we got to Haiti, the culture, the weather, the atmosphere, and lots of trash. Alot of trash is an understatement. I know it would be impossible to ever clean it all up. There are miles and piles of trash, bigger than my car. Some as big as my house. Sad for such a beautiful country. Fighting the urge to clean for all you OCD people would likely kill you. lol :o)


My aversion to long car rides due to car sickness was reinforced by Roberto's mad skills behind the wheel. He seemed to be in his element as we dodged goats, tap taps, bicycles, and.... PEOPLE. I swear Kevin and Taylor secretly learned to drive here. I ask if people were ever worried about getting run over (we were certainly driving at a faster rate of speed than any of us American's would have taken the road). ;o) Roberto explained there is no 'sueing' in Haiti. If you run over someone or they get in your way and they are dead, you are responsible for paying their funeral expense. That's it.


I've never seen so many people crowded into such a small area and living in such poverty. Knowing already I was spoiled is a gross understatement. Roberto covered the rules with us later, ignore the vendors, give nothing to people begging. This is going to be hard on Kelsey. We had stopped in traffic and a little boy had his nose stuck to the glass of her window looking in begging and all you could hear was "awwwwwww". But she recovered nicely mom! ;o)


Arriving at the compound was like stepping out of the house from the tornado and landing in Oz. We're definitely not even close to KS anymore Toto. The compound is a beautiful home and the grounds are breathtaking. Our backyard is the ocean. It's like something from a magazine on extreme makeover (without the new plasma tv's or phones). lol When the gate opened and we went from trash in the street and potholes big enough to drop my car in, to the beauty of it, all I could say was "This is where the spoiled American people stay." :o) And once again I realize how fortunate my family (and friends) really are. God has blessed us beyond belief.



Our Backyard

We had a 'rules' meeting, got snack that Marjorie fixed for us that was fresh bananas (don't worry Annette.... Kelsey steared clear), pineapple, watermelon, papaya, avacado and bread with homemade peanut butter. Also some mango juice that was to die for!!!


Today, I'm looking forward to dinner (spoken like a true fat girl), we're waiting on our lugage, Kevin is snorkeling in the ocean, Kelsey is taking everything in stride and looking forward to visiting the orphanage, Taylor is already collecting seashells and has ask Alex (another Haitian guide) to teach her the Creole language (which she's already picked up exceptionally well) ;o) And, I've watched Diane instantly come to life like she's come home again. So happy to be here, seeing familiar faces and ready to serve.


*UPDATE* Dinner was a bunch of stuff I can't spell or pronounce.... Djon Djon (rice with black mushrooms and turkey sauce), banana pese with picklies (holy cow those are delicious...something like a smashed cooked banana with some sweet spicey onions and sauce topping (WOW), more fresh juice, watermelon.... I thought I was going to lose weight this week. NOT! Everything is "Boomba-guy" !!! Lord knows that's not how to spell it, but it's how to pronounce! Which means VERY GOOD! SWEET! AWESOME!!


Bobbie, Taylor, Kevin, Diane, Renea and Kelsey (yes, we eat oceanside baby!)

No comments:

Post a Comment